Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Meet my army: Part I - SS-Assault Gun Platoon

Finally, I decided to introduce my army platoon by platoon.

I will start from my assault gun platoon. I've already presented StuGs, however, recently I decided to repaint them and add some foliage camouflage, so it is justified to bring the back again ;)

Because I usually play 2nd SS Panzer Division I can bring up to four StuGs in a single assault gun platoon. Therefore, I had to decide what vehicle numbers assign to them, as I have five of them.

First of all, I had to figure out how the numbers were assigned to StuGs in the division. I knew that all the assault guns were grouped in a single Sturmgeschützabteilung at the division-level. However, I found different numberings that were used in such units. Luckily, I found a photo of StuG III coming from the 2nd SS in Normandy with the number 132. So I decided to assign the number 100 to one of the StuGs as a Company HQ and numbers between 131 to 134 to the rest of the StuGs.

StuG IIIG guns are a pretty useful weapon in FOW. Although, they can't equal to the heavies like Panther or Tiger, they are, in my opinion, superior to typical British and American tanks (Cromwells or Shermans). Their front armor is equal to 7, which means better survivability, and their 75mm gun gives enough firepower to destroy most of the comparable enemy tanks. The situation is a little bit different if you consider assaulting infantry. In such case Panzer IVH is probably a better option (additional MG and 360 degrees of fire). However, when you command an infantry company, you will probably push your soldiers forward to attack and use StuGs as a protection from tanks and other nasty vehicles rather than assault force on its own.













4 comments:

  1. Very nice! Excellent photography too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dale :) The scenery was made from the piece of grass mat and paper sheet with printed sky placed on the wall behind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way that you showcase your minis. I hope that you don't mind that i'm looking at shamelessly stealing the background image technique.

    ReplyDelete