Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pyry Wojny 2012 - Tournament

Today, I had a pleasure to participate in a local tournament called "Pyry Wojny 2012". There were around 13 players (I'm not sure what was the exact number). The organizers proposed a non-typical format, which was 1450 points. This enforced players to reconsider their orders of battle. As a result nearly all of them decided to play with armor companies (I was probably the only exception to that rule). The most popular tank was... and here comes a surprise ... a King Tiger!

We played three battles: counterattack, surrounded, and free for all. I think that scenarios were well suited for such a small number of points. None of them had a standard reserves rule, so we didn't have to bother about the odd number of platoons so much.

My first battle was with the German panzer company. My opponent had a platoon of panthers, panzer IVs, StuHs, AA quads, and Pumas. He provoked me to move towards one of my unmanned objectives from the first turn. I forgot that the mission could be won by the attacker only after the 6th turn. Well, it finished bad form me. I lost badly.

The second battle was the surrounded mission - a nightmare for defender in my opinion. I was facing another German panzer company. This time reluctant trained company from Blood, Guts and Glory. It was a sea of panthers (I guess 7 of them), two platoons of panzer IVs. I was lucky to hold long enough to win the battle.

The last battle, a free for all, was against the schwere panzerkompanie. Two King Tigers, Otto Carius with another Tiger, and a platoon of Panzer Grenadiers. I was a little bit tired after heavy battles, and decided to push as much as I could from the beginning. Unfortunately, my start was not impressive at all. I lost nearly half of panzerpionier platoon going under heavy fire from tigers. I have to admit I was lucky from that point on. My Stukas destroyed Carius Tiger (even with re-rolls for one plane and ranging in because of buildings). Stugs were lucky to bail out a King Tiger by hitting it from a flank, and panzerpioniers successfully assaulted the remaining Tiger.

That's all. I would like to thank the organizers for the event,  and my opponents for enjoyable games. See you at the next tournaments.

Link to the full gallery


















6 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos. Looks like a great event.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. All the photos I made are available in the gallery (link before the photos). Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to go around and take photos.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    It is really funny but as I wrote on Wargamer forum there was a mistake in your oponent army briefing in last battle you fought. Otto Carius can replace a platoon command Tiger IE in an army list from Grey Wolf (page 71). According to the rule on page 71 all platoons of Havy tank company have to be entirly equipped with the same type of Tiger as company HQ. So, he cannot be mixed with King Tigers.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are perfectly right, it was illegal order of battle. However, from the perspective of my company it didn't made a huge difference ;)

      Delete
  4. Some really nicely painted armies that you played with. Great terrain and it looks like it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete